Let us start this tutorial by asking you a simple question. What happens when you paste , if you copy a text , and next an image?
The most recently copied item will be pasted(In this example, image). Windows clipboard has this basic problem of not storing multiple items in its clipboard. There were no major innovations done to improve the flexibility of clipboard usage. Thanks to freely available powerful utilities which always make our life simpler by simple software installation.
In this tutorial, We will explain the features of a small software extension for windows clipboard named Ditto.
First, download and install this from here.
– Once you install, upon run, you will notice a small icon in the notification area , which confirms that ditto is installed and working.
– Copy the desired files, images or the text together one by one. (control+c).
– Open the target folder, let us say if you want to paste a image to My Documents, open the same.
– Open Ditto by hotkey : Control + ` (back quote : Shift + “~ or tilde” ). The following UI shows up.
You can see the items copied as a list. Select the required file/ image / or the text.
– Paste (Control+v).
– If you want to paste to notepad, or to paint, open those and follow the same steps.
– Right clicking on the Ditto icon in the notification area, opens up much more options.
You can always modify/ delete the entry by right clicking. You can as well see the image thumbnails so that you need not have to remember the file names of the images you copied. If you want the standard clipboard feature, you can choose the option “disconnect from clipboard” .
Key features: (More information on this application can be found here.)
- Easy to use interface
- Search and paste previous copy entries
- Keep multiple computer’s clipboards in sync
- Data is encrypted when sent over the network
- Accessed from tray icon or global hot key
- Select entry by double click, enter key or drag drop
- Paste into any window that excepts standard copy/paste entries
- Display thumbnail of copied images in list
- Full Unicode support(display foreign characters)
- UTF-8 support for language files(create language files in any language)